Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Unofficial Start to Summer!


We took the long Memorial Day weekend to kick-off the season in the Little Lucas House! 

Ben & I started with a square foot garden.


Mostly, he enjoyed getting to smash the hardened balls of dirt with his hands, and pretend that the spray nozzle of the hose was a shooter.  Haha!

We got this adorable/amazing little square foot garden kit at Home Depot this weekend, and I'm quite smitten!

You can connect them to each other, and create larger raised beds as the need arises.  Since this is our first year with a bonafide garden, we opted for ONE for now. 

We have FAR too many tomato plants, some zucchini, not nearly enough peas & beans, and we opted for separate containers for strawberries and chives, which will be monitored by Connor, the oldest boy.  :)

There were several additions after this pic, but it was cold, and rainy and yucky while we did those, so I left the camera/phone in the house. 


We also started putting up this fence!  I wish I'd thought to take the phone out through the day, and get pictures of all the boys "working on the fence."  But, we were too busy to think about that.  This amazing man, with help from Connor & I, managed to go from nothing to full picket fence in about 30 hours!  It's so amazing!! 


Picture at the end of Day 1 - from the inside!



Picture at the start of Day 2 - from the outside!

That man up there worked NON-STOP this weekend, and we have an incredible new fence tos how for it!  Provided the weather cooperates, I hope to paint it this next weekend (the current color choice is "Eeyore's Rain Cloud" by Disney, please stay tuned), but we'll have to see...it's not looking promising.


It was tough work, but I just LOVED spending our weekend working, and enjoying the company of each other.

WHile our schedules really help us with Ben, and the older boys, it really, REALLY cuts down on the "let's be a couple," moments.  Because we only need to leave Ben with sitters for 2 or 3 hours a day, we are able to depend on our family to keep him.  THis means no daycare bills, and Ben is with people that love him, and care for him.  This is HUGE to me, but sometimes I just miss my husband.

Weekends like we just had give us a chance to BE together, and to WORK together.

Saturday evening, as the big boys went to stay with their Mom, Connor cried - he wanted to stay and help us.  I LOVE that he is so helpful, and such a hard worker! 

So much so that Sunday afternoon we got a call from his Mom, asking if Connor could come back to help us.  I don't think Hubby & I have had many moments that we were so proud of him. 

Him & I took off yesterday morning to buy some plants, and he said, "This is a great day!  Why would you want to WASTE A DAY LIKE THIS PLAYING??"

*gigglesnort*

I'll try to update on the gardening as we go along...provided it's not all eaten by the local rabbits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment