Monday, January 23, 2012

Ice and Ideas

While Ben spent some extra time with Nonna on Saturday, we took the big boys to the Plymouth Ice Festival this weekend.  It was nice to see all the people out, and to watch them carving away at the ice!

What disappointed me - and I guess it happens a lot - is that the older people at the festival were SO RUDE.  Okay, maybe rude isn't the appropriate word - maybe I should say inconsiderate.

All the old people were at the barricade lines, watching the people carving, and had all the kids behind them, trying to see the action between the adults legs and winter coats.  If we ever got the chance to move to the front, we shuffled in as many kids as we could, to stand between us and the barricade.  I guess maybe we had a different opinion than the older people that were there - but in the early afternoon, when the young kids COULD go to the festival, I want the kids to experience it, and see the process - I can google it later, and see it, if I'm interested.  I have always thought that things like this were for families and the children - not for the mid-60s men & women to block the fun stuff from the little guys!  I mean, if you want to come down, come after the sun goes down, when the kids are snuggled up and getting ready for bed.  Take advantage of it then!

But, it was definitely a fun day for us!
  This was a great, big bench that was made to sit on - and the boys thought it was the neatest thing ever!  They wanted to come home and make one!  :)

Of course, I can only imagine the state of the ice sculptures today - it's supposed to be 52 degrees!  I know this is what they do, but I just can't imagine putting in ALL THAT WORK, for your art to just disappear in a day or two. 

To change the subject - I've been telling myself for months now that I really need to get an apron.  Now that I'm back to work, and we're trying to get our finances back on track (a 5-month medical leave will destroy any financial goals you have for a year - let me tell ya), I'm back to cooking more at home.  This week, I've made a roasted turkey breast, a huge chicken pot pie, meatloaf, and a crock pot of pot roast - with onions, potatoes and carrots.  All were yummy (except the turkey breast, I was not impressed), but I realized that I come out of the kitchen with gross gunk all over my clothes, or I burn through a hand towel or two in cleaning up. 

Of course, I can't just run to the Wal*Mart and pick up an apron!  First, we don't have the cash right now - and second, well...that's just not me.  So, I'm going to start looking for alternatives online for aprons - to sew, to knit, to crochet - something!  I'd really like to find one that is full - I tend to drop a lot on the "shelf."  *grin*  But I'm keeping my options open.

I have a few friends or family members that have sewing machines - so I can either try to use their machine, or *grin* try and talk one of them into making it for me.  Perhaps I can barter something I'm good at for something they're good at!  :)

So, if you're reading this, and you have a sewing machine - and can sew...and you'd be willing to barter services, let me know! 

Or, if you know of a fool-proof apron pattern...send it to me! 

*giggle*

No comments:

Post a Comment